I’m Sonja Riemenschneider, a PhD chemical engineer with a dream to make travel guides. For years I told myself it would never work. Then in 2014, partway through my engineering PhD, I decided to start small, with this blog.
Since then, that dream has become a reality. On Breadcrumbs Guide, I create in-depth travel guides to inspire people to travel independently. I tell it like it is, and will do anything to help you have the best experience possible. In my travel guides you will find highly curated itineraries, destination-specific packing lists, hotel reviews, gear reviews, and many posts highlighting specific activities and the best ways to go about them. It’s all about giving you the inspiration and the tools to travel smarter!
Follow my trail of crumbs around the world and subscribe to the newsletter so you never miss out on new travel guides.
You can find the most up-to-date list and an interactive map of all of the destinations I’ve covered on the blog on the Destinations page.
If you’re interested in working with me, feel free to email me at sonja (at) breadcrumbsguide (dot) com. You can find my media kit here.
Destination Guides Coming Soon!
Here are some of the destination guides coming soon on Breadcrumbs Guide:
- Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness, Minnesota
- Maui, Hawaii
- Temecula, California
Destinations on My Radar
Want to know where I’m going next? These are the destinations I have on the radar.
- Greece – June 2016. Islands, ruins, and clifftop monasteries. Can’t wait to spend a month exploring this beautiful country!
- Chile – November 2016. I’ll be exploring this country from north to south for five weeks!
- Minnesota – I’m always exploring more of my home state!
- Hawaii – One of my favorite places in the world, and I’m always looking for ways to go back! I want to create travel guides for all of the islands eventually. My Big Island Guide is here.
- Canada – I’m dying to go see polar bears, beluga whales, and northern lights in Churchill Manitoba. I’ve also always dreamed of visiting Banff National Park in Alberta.
- Iceland – Ever since I saw Secret Life of Walter Mitty, I’ve been dreaming of a trip to Iceland. It looks so remote, rugged, and unassumingly beautiful. I’m waiting to go here until I can bring my husband, Garren, because I know he’d love it! So… when he gets more vacation days. 🙂
- Norway – Norway is one of those places that combines water and mountains in the most beautiful way possible. If it weren’t so dang expensive, I would have gone long ago!
- Italy – Needs no explanation. I was there for a little over a week in 2010 with my family and want to take Garren with me this time. I’d hit up the Cinque Terre again, but this time I’d add in Tuscany, the Lakes Region, and the Dolomites.
If you want to stay in the loop and follow along, feel free to sign up for the newsletter below.